Dear Parents and Caregivers

image

I will take this opportunity to introduce myself.  I am David Sawers and as Leanne pointed out in the last newsletter I am taking over from Leanne as principal at Sawyers Valley PS. I have come from Gingin District High School and I live in South Guildford.  I have been working at SVPS on Wednesday each week.

I have been struck by the very positive and upbeat feel about Sawyers Valley PS and I hope to maintain that wonderful vibrant feel for the school.  I work with an open door policy, which means that if you as a parent or community member have any concerns about the School please come and discuss them with me in person or on the telephone.

We have been notified that Carey Stewart has had her secondment in Central Officer working with the Early Childhood team extended to at least the end of the year.  We wish Carey all the very best and know that they are getting value for their money. Well done Carey.

This week is NAPLAN week and testing for the Year 3s and 5s commences today with the spelling/grammar and writing tests; Wednesday is the reading test and Thursday is the mathematics test.  If your child is absent for any reason we can run catch-up tests up until Friday.  Remember the test is a measure of progress for individual students and is considered to be just another part of their school day.

Dancing lessons started last week and students seem to be really enjoying the opportunity to be involved. Many are looking forward the dance to be held at the end of the lessons.  Coming up later this term is The Spelling Bee Wednesday 3rd June at Helena Valley PS and the Public Speaking Competition to be held at Glen Forest PS on Wednesday 17th June.

Have a great fortnight!